Saturday, November 26, 2011

You Don't Always Need To Know Where You Are Going


Since this was my first year as a LLC mentor, I was glad to hear that I would be working with the Creating Your Future LLC. I am all too familiar with what it feels like to be unsure about your major and what you want to do after college. Since I already took the journey my students would be just starting on, I was very excited to be a resource for them. If anything, I could relieve some of the stress I felt when I entered college.

My main advice for students who are unsure of what they are going to major in is DO NOT WORRY...actually...be excited. Since you have no idea what you want to do you can take whatever classes you want and explore topics you never knew existed. My freshmen year I was able to take a variety of classes ranging from a political science class with a United States focus to a global studies course that opened my eyes to many international issues that I began to take interest in.

During my four years of college so far I have been a political science major, a global studies major and completely undecided in between every decision I have made. Now I am wrapping up my psychology degree and trying to double major in documentary journalism. As you can see, I still don't really know what I want to do with my degrees or in college, but I stay stress free by taking my own advice. Relax and enjoy college! It is more about the complete experience you get rather than a specific course of study. I have learned more from the people I have met, becoming my own independent person and exploring all avenues of life. For this reason, I think being undecided is the best major you could possibly be!

No comments:

Post a Comment