Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Meet Your Mentor

Welcome to UWM! 



Hello, my lovely Lab Rats! My name is Rea Mae Azcueta, and I will be your Lab Rats LLC Mentor for the 2012-2013 school year. I was born and raised in Bayside, WI, which is a suburb of Milwaukee, and I graduated from Divine Savior Holy Angels High School (an all girl school) in Milwaukee. 
In the fall, I will be a Junior in the Biology/Pre-med program here at UWM. Originally, I was a nursing student, but I switched to pre-med after my freshman year. My plan after I graduation is to do a year of research so that I can get more experience in a research lab before I attend Medical school. Since I love working with children and patients, I plan on becoming a pediatrician. Throughout my college career, I have been involved on campus by being an Asian Student Union e-board member, a New Student Orientation Leader, a First Year Mentor. 

Last summer, I was accepted into the Community Health Internship Program and became an intern at the Milwaukee Health Department in the Vital Statistics department. I analyzed and created a report that shows the top five causes of death in the City of Milwaukee by age group and by race from 1997-2008. My experience at the MHD sparked my interest in research, which lead me to becoming a Lab Rats mentor.

The Lab Rats LLC is designed for students who are interested in doing any kind of research during their undergraduate career. The students in the LLC will attend a class together, go on different field trips, and attend different events that are related to research. You will also learn about the different research labs we have on and around campus as well as the hundreds of different research programs UWM has to offer. As your mentor, I want to help you find the best fitting research project for you so that you can experience how awesome research can be. By the end of your first semester, you will be aware of multiple different research projects on campus, and hopefully, you will be apart of one of them.

This is my first time being a mentor for an LLC, but I have lots of fun activities and field trips in mind. If you ever have any ideas or activities we should do, feel free to contact me at razcueta@uwm.edu, and I'd be happy to incorporate them into our year!


I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in the Fall!

Rea Mae Azcueta

No comments:

Post a Comment