Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Meet Your RA

Hello!  My name is Leah Hoffman, and I am the RA for the ASL LLC for the 2012-2013 school year.  I am from Green Bay, Wisconsin, so naturally I love the Packers!  This year I will be a junior or third year student.  I am double majoring in ASL (American Sign Language) Studies and the ASL Interpreter Training Program.   

I was introduced to sign language in kindergarten and then once again in middle school.  When I entered high school, I took ASL as a foreign language.  That is where I decided (with the help and encouragement of my parents, ASL teachers, and interpreters) that I wanted to pursue ASL as a major/career. 

The ASL LLC is a community within University Housing that allows ASL students to live amongst each other.  Students who are Deaf, majoring, minoring, or fulfilling their foreign language requirements can choose to live in the LLC.  It is a great place to not only introduce you to the language and Deaf culture, but also immerse yourself, and learn more!  After all, immersing yourself is the best way to learn a language.  I lived in the ASL LLC as a resident my first two years, and I loved it so much that I decided to apply to be the RA.  My goal is to spread more awareness throughout University Housing about Deaf culture.  I am super excited for this coming year, and I can’t wait to meet my residents!          

No comments:

Post a Comment