Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Music LLC RA

My name is Sara Fritchen and this is my second year being the Resident Assistant for the Music LLC. I am from Racine, Wisconsin which is about 45 minutes from here. I'm in my third year at UWM studying Jazz Studies as well as Multiple Woodwinds. My primary instrument is saxophone and I double on the flute and clarinet.


The goal for our LLC is to challenge the residents to think outside of the box. It is easy for musicians to get stuck in the mindset that studying music only entails analyzing classical symphonies, suites, and so on. Music is such a diverse part of culture, around the world there are different styles and customs where music is prevalent and since the beginning of time, music has been evolving. Even after college, there are many different options for musicians besides just teaching for public schools and performing. I believe my job is to educate the residents on what music really means and expanding the parameters of opportunities for them.

As I mentioned, I was the Music LLC RA last year and since it was the first year, there was a lot of trial and error. This year I'm prepared to better execute our goals within the LLC. Outside of the RA position, I've managed a local music store back at home, performed professional gigs, taught privately to young musicians, and currently I am the manager of UWM's Jazz Ensemble and Youth Jazz Ensemble (UJAY). I am really excited to see how the LLC has expanded and I am anxious to see the individuals coming to the residence halls this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment