Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Welcome to American Sign Language!

Hello everyone! My name is Vanessa Kersten and I am the Resident Assistant (RA) for the American Sign Language Living Learning Community for the 2017-2018 school year. I am a sophomore and I lived on the ASL floor as a resident last year. I loved it so much I just had to come back! I am Pre-med, majoring in biochemistry and minoring in ASL Studies.

Hello! My name is Katelyn Miller and I am the Peer Mentor for the ASL LLC. I am a sophomore in college and I am a Middle Childhood Education major and an ASL Studies minor. I lived on the ASL LLC last year and I am looking forward to another great year!

The LLC started off the year with our kick-off event where we played a variety of games including videophone, which is just like telephone but with gestures. Our stakeholder Erin Wiggins was there and even joined in on the fun.

This past week was Deaf Awareness Week Wisconsin (DAWW) and many of the ASL classes cancelled class so people could go to the events. There were people from all over Wisconsin who came to learn about Deaf culture and support the community here at UWM. I had class and wasn't able to go but from what I've heard the people in the LLC had a great time!


Things are settling down around here now that Fall Welcome is over and people are starting to really focus on classes. Almost every night you can find people studying in the lounge. Most people in ASL 1 are in the same class so it's very easy to ask questions about assignments and to get notes if you missed class. Other ASL students in higher levels are able to help with vocab, grammar and facial expression.  It is amazing to see our community growing together and improving on our ASL skills!




No comments:

Post a Comment