Friday, September 28, 2018

ASL: Games and Fun


Welcome to a brand-new year! 

My name is Vanessa and I am the RA for the American Sign language Living Learning Community (ASL LLC) This is my second year as the RA (resident assistant) and my third year living on the floor.  I am incredibly excited to be back this year and I cannot wait to see what this new year has in store for us!  
So far things have already started off great. On September 12th we had our LLC kick-off event where we all got together to play ASL Games. These were all games that encouraged the use of non-signing skills often used in ASL. Since many of the residents have just started their ASL 1 class I felt it was very important that we have games that anyone could participate in. Hearing or Deaf, extensive ASL knowledge or none at all, everyone was able to participate and have a great time! 

Recently people have been spending a lot more time hanging out in the lounge together. I am so happy to see them doing this all on their own since it is the best way to build community and meet everyone on the floor. Hanging out in the lounge is also one of the best ways to increase their ASL skills since the best way to learn a language is through practice.  

I already have some event ideas in the works and I can’t wait to see how the floor grows and learns together while enjoying the perks that come with living in an academic focused community. 

I hope your school year is off to a wonderful start!



The LLC playing gesture telephone which is a mash up of charades and telephone. 


Group photo of the LLC members, stakeholder Erin Wiggins and West Tower Supervisor, Haley Zangl

No comments:

Post a Comment