Tuesday, September 8, 2015

American Sign Language LLC Blog 1



Blog Post 1: Introduction

My name is Jane Stueber and I am your Peer Mentor for the year. As a peer mentor, we are available as a peer resource to help and encourage you through your transition here at UWM. Essentially that means I am your go-to-person for any questions that you might have about the campus and whatever else might be going on in your life. I can share or give you more information about a variety of resources that are available here at UWM that you may be interested in or could help you succeed as a Panther. I will be in your American Sign Language 1 and Deaf Culture courses. I have taken both of these courses already as well. I will occasionally be in the ASL LLC Lounge and I will get those hours later for you. I will also be emailing you weekly.
I am junior double majoring in American Sign Language and Interpreting (ASL/ITP). I came to UWM because this is the only instate school that has my major and the diversity. I am from Green Bay, WI. My favorite show is Law and Order SVU. I also really enjoy writing rather than reading. I am involved with InterVarsity which is a Christian org on campus. I am a sporty girl and am involved with and enjoy doing basketball, soccer, cross country, volleyball, gymnastics, and martial arts.
Deaf Awareness Week is coming up (September 21st-26th) and I will be attending multiple of those events. I am inviting all of you to come, emerge yourself and have fun, you can meet me and we can go together.

Hello! My name is Ariel Baeseman, the Resident Assistant (RA) for the ASL Living Learning Community for the 2015-2016 academic year. I'm very excited for all that the LLC will be doing this year, but first I'd like you to know a little bit about me. I am a sophomore at UWM this year and I lived in this community last year as a freshman. I come from a small town near Madison, WI and love going fishing, playing with animals, shopping, and spending time with my friends. I've been told I look like Anna Kendrick from Pitch Perfect, but I'm not too sure about that one, although that is one of my favorite movies. I'm sure you'll learn enough about me throughout the year, though!

In my role as the RA for this community, I will be hosting numerous events throughout the year for our community as well as helping residents build connections with each other and the Deaf Community within Milwaukee. I will be taking the residents within the community to a few events during Deaf Awareness Week Wisconsin (DAWW) to participate and hopefully even volunteer! This semester, we will also be doing a cross-over type event and invite the other communities in Sandburg's West Tower to come play some games and learn some ASL.

On September 1st, the LLC had our first event where we got to know each other, play some games, and spend time together! We had about half of our LLC participate in the event! We got to play a few rounds of the elephant game and telephone! Our residents started to get creative with telephone to show how easy it is for concepts to be misunderstood once they get a little more complicated.
Becky is trying to make sure she knows what the phrase was for this round of telephone!

"Say that again?!"
Our residents really enjoyed themselves last night and I can't wait for our next event! See you there!
-RA Ariel
              

No comments:

Post a Comment