Thursday, October 1, 2015

September Dance LLC Blog

Hello! My name is Shelby Larson and I am the Resident Assistant for the Dance Living Learning Community. I am from Lakeville, Minnesota and am currently in my second year of study at UW-Milwaukee. I am majoring in Dance and  Pre-Physical Therapy. It’s an honor to work with the Dance LLC students. Besides being a dance major, I have experienced living in the Dance LLC before, and am very excited to now be the RA in this same environment.




The Dance LLC is an amazing community. We are full of energy and excitement every time we are together. We are here to learn more about dance and the potential career opportunities as well as experience a little bit of dancing for ourselves. The Dance LLC isn’t only for people majoring in dance but is also for those who love dance as a hobby or pastime.

The quote says:
“The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can.”
-Neil Gaiman


 I have many fun community building and learning events planned for this year. At our Dance LLC kick-off event we will play games, discuss future events, and determine together what we want to focus on as an LLC this year.


They did a fabulous job at helping me decorate the floor this past weekend!


The Music LLC and Dance LLC joined together for a “Downtown Milwaukee Scavenger Hunt.”  Eli, the Music LLC RA and I took our residents downtown and they explored Milwaukee via a scavenger hunt. Some of the fun places they went to were - The Milwaukee Public Market, The Milwaukee Art Museum, The Marcus Theatre, and many more places. This event got the residents to experience public transportation as well as figuring out how to navigate their way around Milwaukee. They did great!
 This picture was before our scavenger hunt.


 They had a fun time a the Milwaukee Public Market!

Meet your Dance LLC Peer Mentor: Caitlin Reisinger

Hello! My name Caitlin Reisinger and I am one of the Peer Mentors for the Dance Living Learning Community.  I am from Cedarburg, WI.  This fall I am a sophomore studying Civil Engineering.  My primary role as a mentor will be to help you get connected to campus resources.  Essentially, I am a resource for you, and I can help you succeed not only academically, but socially and personally. 

The purpose of the Dance Living Learning Community is to give you, the students, the chance to explore the dance culture of Milwaukee while connecting with other students that have the same interest as you.  Which is pretty awesome!  I know in Dance 113-831 - Beginning Modern Technique the students have to attend two contemporary dance concerts this semester.  

This is my first time being a mentor for a Living Learning Community.  The Dance Living Learning Community sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun and I can't wait to participate in the events that are going to be happening in the Dance LLC!


No comments:

Post a Comment