Monday, October 5, 2015

Welcome to the Art and Design LLC 2015-2016


Hello everyone! My name is Joseph (Joe) Steiner and I am the RA for the Art and Design LLC  in Cambridge Commons for the 2015-2016 academic year. I am a Painting and Drawing major in the Peck School of the Arts. I am originally from Boise, Idaho, and I had never been to the state of Wisconsin prior to my decision to attend UW-Milwaukee. Last year I was a resident in the Art and Design LLC and I had an overwhelmingly positive experience that really helped me acclimate and make new, lasting connections in an unfamiliar environment. Naturally, this year I am incredibly excited to be a part of the LLC again in my new role as the RA and work with incoming Art and Design students (as well as students of all majors) and offer guidance during their transition into college and adult life.

RA Joe

This year Cambridge Commons decided on a building-wide Disney theme, and each individual community chose a Disney-related sub-theme to determine how we decorate our communities. I chose Studio Ghibli as the theme for the Art & Design LLC. I've had a blast preparing the community, especially taking advantage of the chalkboard spaces in the hallways.

On Tuesday September 1st, we held our LLC Kickoff event, which was a trip to Blick Art Supply and Kenilworth Square where the LLC 3D Concepts class is located in order to prepare for the first day of classes. During this event the LLC residents purchased their supply kits for their 1st Year Art and Design Program, met the staff at Blick, received free T-Shirts!

Coming up later this month on September 26th from Noon to 4:00 PM the LLC will be participating in an event at the Milwaukee Maker Faire. We will have teams competing in the GE Design & Build Challenge, which will allow the residents to show off their creativity and resourcefulness, and hopefully we will return home victorious!

Mentor Devin

Hello everyone! My name is Devin Buska and I am the Peer Mentor for the Art and Design LLC in Cambridge Commons for the 2015-2016 academic year. As the Art and Design mentor I attend the LLC class along side the students offering my advice and knowledge, as well as to help them feel comfortable in the new environment. I am a second year Art Education major in the Peck School of Arts with my focus being on drawing, painting and art history. I am from Watertown, Wisconsin so I am very accustomed to the Milwaukee area and excited to be a UWM Panther. Last year I too was a resident in the Art and Design LLC at Cambridge Commons and had fallen in love with the program. This being the case I am looking forward to another great year in the LLC and working with this years art students as the Peer Mentor!

On August 31st, UWM had Panther Academic Welcome Day (PAWD). This is a campus wide event where all new freshman students gather together and get better acquitted. During PAWD the students of the LLC participated in two major group activities, the first being Mission Possible which is a lecture based activity where the students learn about the differences between the college work load and the high school work load. The second activity was the UWM Common Read Experience (CRE). During the CRE the students discussed the book given to them at orientation titled, Meet Me Half Way: Milwaukee Stories by Jennifer Morales. At the end of our PAWD experience were were able to walk around and even get a group photo at the beautiful Fountain on campus. 

The new Art and Design LLC!

On September 16th, the LLC students 2D/3D class visited the Milwaukee Art Museum (MAM). As a group we left from Cambridge and took the Milwaukee Public Transit bus to MAM. This in class trip has given the students the opportunity to get involved in the Milwaukee art community and encourage them to go out into the city on their own.





















No comments:

Post a Comment